titleFrequently Asked Questions

Do I need a film permit?

More than likely you do. Any filming that occurs within the City of Cerritos requires a film permit. Permit fees may be waived for the following:

  • News media;
  • Family or personal use video;
  • Educational institutions;
  • Charitable organizations that qualify under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code;
  • Religious groups; and
  • Parties owning businesses in the City

The above groups are NOT exempt from safety and health regulations.

How do I get a film permit?

First, contact the Department of Community Development at (562) 916-1201. City staff will coordinate your filming with required City Departments. We try to make it as easy as possible for you to get a film permit. The permit application form is available online at filmcerritos.com. If you would like to submit the documents via email, call (562) 916-1201 for assistance.

City staff will discuss the particulars of your production and let you know what special conditions will apply, whether or not a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy is required, and any other information needed to secure a permit.

How long does it take for my application to be reviewed?

Once all materials for the permit application have been received, the turnaround time generally takes seven (7) business days. It is recommended that applicants submit completed applications at least seven (7) business days before filming to ensure timely issuance of film permits. Additional time may be required depending on the complexity of the production. Factors that could increase the review time include complicated filming, gunfire, special effects, posting of No Parking signs, Intermittent Traffic Control (ITC), and road closures. If you have a very simple shoot, it could take less time.

How much are fees related to Filming in Cerritos?

A film permit fee is $250.

Facility Use Fees are quoted on a case-by-case basis depending on the timing, labor costs and overall impact on the operation of the facility.

Do I need a separate permit for every location?

You can include multiple locations on your permit application. A fee of $200 is charged for each location.

I'm a student, is there a discount?

Educational institutions may be exempt from the film permit fee. A refundable deposit of $250 is due with the permit application. In addition, a $1 million liability insurance certificate and approved Los Angeles County Fire Department Film Permit are required along with signed General Rules for Filming in Cerritos.

How does posting of “No Parking” signs work?

If you need to park production equipment or vehicles in zones that won't permit it, temporary “No Parking” signs must be posted. You may not put up “No Parking” signs for cast/crew parking. Production is responsible for posting signs 48 hours prior to it being effective. If the signs aren't up 48 hours before, the signs are NOT enforceable. City staff will inspect to ensure everything is posted properly. Materials for posting are not available from the City. They can be purchased at a traffic control company or you may hire a service to do it for you. Some permit processing companies will provide the service.

What is required for ITC (Intermittent Traffic Control)?

ITC is allowed on roadways upon request in the permit application. It is limited to two (2) minutes at a time. Production companies are required to use Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies for any filming requiring ITC. The Production Company is responsible for requesting and paying the required deputies. Contact the Department of Community Development at (562) 916-1201 for more information.

How do I close traffic lanes?

Various streets and roads may be closed to through traffic for filming. A detailed traffic plan must be submitted prior to the permit being approved. Consideration is given to the activity, type of road, volume of traffic, day and time of request, and other factors to determine the feasibility of the closure. Advance warning signs and all other traffic control devices for approved closures must conform to the California State Department of Transportation W.A.T.C.H. manual. Production companies are required to use Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies for traffic control.

Anything else?

After filming has completed, the City of Cerritos may send a Final Production Report to the Production Company. We use this report to assess the economic impact of production in Cerritos. The report gauges how much money was spent locally and the number of filming days.

Back to Article Top